Friday, November 14, 2008

Our First Doctor's Appointment...

We had our first doctor's appointment here in Iceland on Wedsnesday morning. My nurse/midwifes name is Kristin. She is in her 50's I would say. She was really nice and she could talk English pretty good. I felt comfortable around her and she looked like she had delivered a few babies in her day. She will be my midwife throughout my pregnancy, unless for some reason I all of a sudden start not liking her for some reason. If that happens I can request a new midwife. Now things are obvilously done differently here in Iceland than in America, as far as having babies are concerned. From what I have gathered so far, Kristin will be with me throughtout the pregnancy and she will also come to my home after the baby is born and will assist me with anything that I need (i.e. help with breast feeding)...She will also come and check the baby's weight, vitals, etc to make sure that everything is okay.
We filled out some paper work and she checked my height and weight. I took a urine test which came back normal. I didn't take a blood test because I had already taken one in America. We listened to the baby's heartbeat and she said that is was STRONG!!!! We were thankful! It is such a neat feeling hearing your baby's heartbeat...No matter what kind of mood you're in you will ALWAYS smile whenever you hear it...
After that, she wanted to feel my uterus she so started gently pressing down on my stomach with her hands...she kept telling me to relax...she said something to Sy in Icelandic and Sy explained that I was an athlete and that I played basketball...Appartently she could feel my stomach muscles which made me feel great! I was, of course thinking, there are still muscles in there...By the way, my stomach is getting bigger by the day! I have got to post some pics soon...I promise I will...
After the feeling of the uterus I had some questions:
My first question was will I ever see a doctor during this process (No offense to her as a nurse/midwife, but in America we see doctors)?
Her response: No...not unless something goes wrong...She said that a very high percentage of pregnancies are normal. If everything is normal then there is no need for a doctor, but if something does go wrong then they call him and he will be there in a flash.
My second question was, of course, about an epidural. Do you have them? Can I get one? What's the deal?
Her response (as she smiled at me with this look like you naive American women): Yes they have them, but they don't like to give them to women unless extenuating circumstances take place (i.e. the women is in labor for a long time, etc). They like to use other methods to help the women through the pain like acupuncture. They perfer the let the women's natural endorphins kick in and assist in the birth process. She said that my body was made for this and that nature will take its course and provide me with everything I need to delivery our baby. She also told me that women that had received an epidural with their first baby did not want it for their subsequent children.
I will admit it was a good sales pitch, but I must have not looked completely convinced because at the end of her spill she told me that we would talk about it again on our next visit. I am sure that if I insist she will give me one, but right now I am seriously considering going 'Oh Nat-u-ral'.
All in all I think the visit went very well. My next visit is December 12 and I will have an ultrasound visit on December 23!!!! I can't wait to see my little peanut again...Oh, I guess it will be a peach or a grapefruit this time!!!!
Oh and me and Sy are seriously leaning toward NOT finding out the sex of the baby...I know everyone in America will be really excited about that decision! Finding out the sex of the baby is not near as common a practice here as it is in America. I think that we want to be truly surprised AND I think that not knowing will help me, especially if I am going to spit this baby out naturally!!!! That will motivate me to get the little stinker out becasue we will be sooooooo excited to see what it is!
Well that's all folks. Talk to you again soon...

3 comments:

The VanZoerens said...

Dasha, I am so proud of you for so many things--no epidural, waiting to find out the sex--oh how much braver you are than me! I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to see pictures of you and your little peanut! I also can't wait for you to experience the joys of parenthood--I know we've only just begun our journey, but oh how sweet it is! We love and miss you guys!

ACG said...

Oh Natur-AL?? :| girl, when I think of that I just remember whoever it is that said "you try squeezing something the size of a watermelon out of a grape and see how you feel..." Your body was built for this, I agree, but uhhh... bring on them drugs, lol... Nah, you can do it, mighty woman of God! :)

Stephanie said...

You are one brave woman Dasha! When I told Mrs. Faught about your post, she told me that she had Nicole naturally in Trinidad and while it was a painful experience,it can be done (but only by the toughest of ladies...okay I added that). I can't wait to see pictures of your growing belly and little peanut. Pregnancy is so beautiful!

Oh how I miss you Dasha! I started a picture collage on that blank wall across from my dining room. I needed you there my dear! You know how things can get scary when Nate and I decide what "looks good" ;)!

Love y'all!