Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Shopping in Iceland...

The past few days have been exhausting...Now those of you who know me know that I love shopping!!! This is coming from a girl, who back in my college days, once spent 6 consecutive hours in a mall- and some of my dear friends at the time might argue that it was actually 8 hours!! However, right about now 6-8 MINUTES in any store leaves me feeling tired, hungry, plagued with lower back pain, and ready to just find the nearest chair or toilet, whichevers closer. In the past few days I have been to many, many, stores with names I can´t pronounce and sales people I can´t understand and have had to choose between couches, chairs, beds, washers and dryers, curtains, pots, dishes, bedding, and anything else you might possibly have to buy when you´re starting your life over. Don´t get me wrong, under normal circumstance I would have been in hog heaven, but with the pregnancy and all, my mind is on alot more than just couches. Now, when I walk into a furniture store my first thought is 'How long has it been since my last meal?' and ' How long do I have before I am starving again?'.
Elsa and Siggi, Sy´s mom and dad, have been real troopers. They have been so supportive. They have taken us all over Reykjavik trying to find us the best deals and helping us transport our items to Selfoss, where we will be living. Selfoss is about 30 minutes from Reykjavik.
I really like our apartment. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn´t have a dish washer- So you know what that means- SAEVAR is going to become a great dish washer!!!!!!!! I think that its the perfect size for the two of us- soon to be three! It´s two bedrooms and one bath. Hopefully, we will move in it today. We have been waiting for some repairs to be completed. So of you may remember the earthquake that Iceland had a while back. Well our apartment got damaged during that earhtquake, some of the walls were cracked. Our landlord just settled with the insurance company to repair the walls and the contractor is supposed to come today to fix it.
Sy is REALLY anxious to get moved. He is having to drive to practice everyday (30 minutes one way), which is not too bad, but it would make his life so much easier if we were moved. Our apartment is a 30 second drive to the gym where FSU practices.
So, we bought a black leather sofa and 2 red leather chairs for the living room! I am so excited about those chairs! I love a little splash of RED! Anyways, we got the chairs at this store called The Peir here in Reykjavik, which is their version of Peir One!!!! I was so excited when I walked in- it felt like home! I really wanted to go contemporary with this apartment and I must say that it has been challenging- I knew that it would be...I am so used to warm tone (reds, yellows, browns, greens), so I am totally OUT of my comfort zone- but I kinda like it. Our living room colors will be black, white/off-white/cream, gray, and red. The real challenge was finding window treatments. I wanted already made curtains, but I just couldn´t find any that worked. Eventually, I can across the bomb fabric!!!! It´s great and Aya, Bjarni's mom who is a great seamstress, is going to help me make curtains!!!!! I'm really excited about the curtains and about spending time with her...
Oh, the last thing that I wanted to share is about the bed that we bought...It´s king size!!!! I am so ecstatic about it...Me and Sy have never had a king size bed and for two people as big as we are, I feel that it is almost a neccessity!! So we are in the store and we didn´t think that we would be able to afford it...the kings were substantially more than the queens and you know sy is all about the 'benjamins' sometimes...So I asked the sales guy if there were any king beds that were maybey a little damaged that he could give us a deal on...low and behold there was!!!!!!! He called the warehouse to check and be sure...He came back and gave us the price on one of the most expensive king size beds that they had (its called 'Angel Dream'!) and it the price was going to be less than that same bed in a queen size!!!! We were so happy! And the only thing that was wrong with it was that the box spring had a small cosmetic defect that could be covered with a bed skirt!!!! The Lord is good and ALL good and perfect gifts come from Him!!!!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Shopping...tiring for Dasha...crazy! Pregnancy really seems to change things. I guess I won't understand until I am there. I can't wait to see pictures of the place! A king size bed is perfect for y'all and those red chairs...OOH! Miss y'all.

Stacy said...

What fun!! The furniture sounds fabulous! So glad you're finding great stuff-send pics soon!

AC said...

Okay, I didnt get "fun" out of reading any this, all I got was teary eyes wanting to be with you! Awww, and I havent even lived in the same country as you for over a year. But this is just different! Okay okay, so happy for you, yeah yeah yeah. Awwww, love you missy. Cant wait to see the place, I know it will look "dash"ing.

Oh....Adam found tickets to Iceland for $400!!!!! Thats right $400. I should be there in no time!

The VanZoerens said...

Can't wait to see pictures of your new apartment and furniture--I know that with your taste everything will look fabulous! I hope you are doing well--I can totally relate to the constant hunger and exhaustion. But don't worry, it shouldn't last the whole pregnancy! We miss you guys!

QuitaShay said...

Hey Chica! It's me! Bet you never thought you would be reading from me huh!! Well i am glad that things are going well for you guys. I was just looking at the pictures from Bridge street and got a little teary eyed :( May God continue strenghtening you two. Tell Sy I said "Hey"!! Smooches