Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It's a Girl!!!!!!!!

We had our 20 week ultrasound this morning at 9:30am...The drama, however, started well before then...I was so restless last night...I woke up at 1:30am and just couldn't go back to sleep until about 4:00am...I think that I was just so anxious about the ultrasound that I couldn't sleep. Sy had to go and pick up one of his teammates, Tyler Dunnaway, from the airport this morning. He left the house at 5:00am so that he could be at the airport by 6:30 (It's an hour and a half drive to the airport from our house)...I wanted to go with him, but he wanted me to stay behind in case something happened...He wanted to be sure that I would make it to the doctor because we have had so much drama with all of our appt thus far since we have been in Iceland...Sy called me at 8:30am to tell me that he has picked up Tyler; our car had broken down in Reykjavik (30 minutes from our house); and Siggi was on his way to see about them...My first response was "You have got to be kidding me!"...No, he wasn't kidding...So I get up out of bed and start to get dressed because I realize that I have 30 minutes to get ready before I need to start making my way to the hospital...
Now, it would take any normal person about 15 minutes to walk to the hospital from our house, but I am not normal when it comes to being in a hurry...I am probably one of the slowest people you would ever want to meet and the fact that I am pregnant does not make matters any better...so I knew that it would probably take me 25-30minutes to walk to the hospital...I started on my way at about 9:00am...
As I am walking I see an ambulance coming my way and I was soooooooo close to flagging him down and asking him to take me the rest of the way BUT I didn't...Saevar calls to tell me that our car has to be towed; Siggi is letting us borrow his work truck; and that he is on his way!!! He also asks me to stall the ultrasound tech as long as I can...At that point I realize that the paperwork that we need for the ultrasound is in our broken down car...Thankfully Sy remembers it!!!
I get to the hospital just in time sweating like a pig...The technician calls me back into the room...I explain the situation and asks if there is anyway that we can postpone the appt a little so that we can wait for Sy, who at this point is about 10 minutes away...She kindly explains that she is booked all day and that she can't wait, but that we could re-schedule the appt for next week...I kindly DECLINED that suggestion- we had already been postponed a week (our appt was originally on the 23rd of Dec)...She said that the appt would last at least 30 minutes so Sy would be there in time for the majority the session...and she was right!!! When Sy got there (papersork and all) he hadn't missed hardly anything!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!
The ultrasound was wonderful...She measured the baby's head and femur, which showed that we are actually 21 weeks and some days instead of 20 weeks...My due date was moved from 14 May to 11 May...We saw all 10 fingers, 4 chambers of the heart, the kidneys, eyes, nose, two little lips, the stomach, two little legs, and last but not least the female anatomy!!!!!!
Honestly, me and Sy thought we were having a boy, but we could not be happier!!!!
The funny thing is that we went to a birthday party this past weekend with bunch of Sy's friends that he grew up with- ironically, all of his closest friends growing up were girls...Anyways, four of the girls that he grew up with are pregnant- all with girls!!!
Happy New Year everyone!!!!! It will definitely be a new year for the Sigurmundsson's...Life, as we now know it, will NEVER be the same!!!!!

4 comments:

The VanZoerens said...

Oh Dasha, I am so excited for you guys! I'm sorry that you've had so much drama with this pregnancy but it will certainly be worth it come May :) Girls are so wonderful--I'm sure you can't wait to meet her! We miss you guys so much--hopefully we will get a chance to call you soon!

Bethany Patton said...

Congrats on the baby girl guys!!!! Girls are so sweet! I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog...I will be checking in on you! I hope your pregnancy continues to go well. I was shocked reading that you walked to the dr. appt. You are such a trooper! I would have called a cab! Do they have cabs there???

Ólöf Halldora said...

Happy new year and congrats you guys with the girl. I so happy for you, it will be fun next summer for us with our baby girls... ;)

Stephanie said...

It was so great talking to you yesterday Dasha! I am so excited that you and Sy are going to have a precious baby girl! While you told me the drama in this story, it was so much fun to read it. Bum day, but it was all worth it in the end.

Miss ya lots! Love ya'll!

Steph