Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Catch Up...

Several things have happened over the last two weeks...I won't mention them all, but I will try to hit the highlights...Me and Sy somehow end up in Reykjavik almost every weekend...The weekend before last we went to a Christmas Buffet dinner with Sy's parents and another couple....This wasn't a typical buffet...It was at this fancy resturant and we had all this fancy food...Everything was wonderful and the food was delicious...After dinner we walked around downtown and went to several places that had live music...We ended up meeting a guy from France that was in town for the weekendat a place called Cafe Rosenburg...He was actually a violinist and he played with the band that was performing at the resturant that evening...He had never played with the band before, but you wouldn't have known it because he was great! AND his french accent was da bomb! Later on that night I met a guy from Maryland who was visiting Iceland for the first time...He just went to his travel agent and said I want to go somewhere I have never been and she suggested Iceland...He got a really good deal because the dollar is so good here right now...We had a nice little talk...He was an mechanical engineer who built night vision system for the army...We had alot in common with my missile defense background...
Me and Sy have been going to a little church here in Selfoss called Hvitasunnukirkjan...don't ask he what that means...Anyways, we really like it...It reminds of so much of The Light...Its a small community and they have pastors, but they have different speakers come in regularly to share the Word...The pastors of the church are Aaron and Gunna...They are a sweet couple about mine and Sy's age...They invited me and Sy to dinner this week to get to know us better...It was really nice...We talked about 3.5 hours during and after dinner...They told that the church has approx 7 small groups that meet every other Weds night for bible study and they invited us to join them...So, this weds night will be our first bible study!!!! We are really excited because we have been wanting and needing some accountability...Praise the Lord for helping to get us plugged in...The church put together a market to help raise money for needy children...People all over Selfoss have been donating items that they don't want anymore and we are selling the items at reduced prices...This effort has gotten a wonderful response from the community...Poeple have been very thankful because with the econmic crisis many have little money for Christmas presents so the market has given them the opportunity to shop for the presents...I have been volunteering at the market this week and I have really enjoyed it...It has given me an opportunity to meet and fellowship with people in the community and with people in the church.
A very exciting thing happened this past weekend...We bought my ticket to come home in February!!!!!!! YYEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! I will be home Feb 13-March 2...I will fly from Iceland to NY and then me and my Momma will both fly from NY to Nashville together...My ticket from Iceland to NY was only $350!!! So anyone planning to come and visit us anytime in the next decade should really checkout flights right now...the are pretty reasonable...Now, the kicker, as always, was getting the flight from NY to home which also costs us about $350...All in all, it was pretty reasonable...
We are having a baby shower for my sister on Feb 15 in Florence and I am really excited about seeing all the fam...It will be great!
Oh, me and Sy have decided to find out the sex of the baby!!! I was really sold on NOT knowing, but now since I'm coming home I want to be able to shop for the baby...Plus I want to be as prepared as possible...So I really had my heart set on finding out next week (my sonar appt was the 23rd of December); however the sonar office called today to re-schedule my appt to the 30th of December...Uuuuggghhhhh...So now we have to wait another week...In the meantime the belly is getting bigger!!!!
The basketball team has been having weekly pool meetings...So we have been going to the pool at night in the freezing snow...Its been awesome!!!!...Americans really don't understand swimming in the winter, but its the best...Iceland has heated pools...They are more like hot tubs really, but you really haven't lived until you've been in a heated pool with 3 feet of snow all around you!!!!
By the way its snowing over here like crazy...I love it and I am dying to have a snowball fight!!!!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Miss you SO much Dasha! I was so glad to read this update! I am glad you and Sy are doing well and that you have been getting involved with some different organizations.

It stinks that you won't find out the sex of the baby for a bit longer, but I am so glad you decided to find out at all. I can't wait to find out! We are planning to have baby shower for you when you come home and it will help to know the sex. I can't wait to see you! I miss you so so much.

We will have to talk on Skype soon. I want another belly update!

Love ya!

Steph

Marty Walker said...

Dasha,

This is a test.

Marty Walker said...

Dasha,

Now time to get down to business. I love your blog... Awesome. I just found out about it this morning. I spoke to Sy for a few minutes and just wanted to say Hi and let you know how much we love and miss you.

I also mentioned to Sy that I expect a full one page apology once you get the results of the test next week and you realize that you have a boy. I told you that I am more accurate than any test, and that I have missed once in 50 predictions. So I will be waiting to hear from you about that.

I am really grateful that you are enjoying the journey the Lord has you on. Freedom is following and relying on the Lord daily. You guys are truly doing that. Merry Christmas and our prayers are with you.

Marty

PS.. Ellie and Cal ask about you guys all the time. One more story... Ellie scored her first career basketball points on Saturday. After she scored, she fist pumped her chest twice, kissed her index and middle finger and showed them to the crowd as she ran back down the floor. I guess I have to realize that she is going to have some of Jo's charateristics.